At the centre of the village an Olive Mill used to operate which belonged to the Church. The villagers would collect their olives, boil them (so that the black oil would come out) and then carried them to the Mill. They purred them into the Mill-stone and pushed the wood piece located on the other Mill-stone which would pressure the olives and crush them. The crushed olives where then placed inside ζεμπύλια and carried to the hand operated press. All the olives where pressed and the oil ran into a water container. The oil floated above the surface of the water and a woman would collect it and place it in other containers. The water which remained was the so-called “Tzizouros” which was of no use and thrown away.
Naturaly the “katsoures” followed. They were slices of bread fried in the fresh olive oil and all the bystanders there would eat.
At the north of the village there was a Threshing Floor which belonged to Theodotos Antoniou. The villagers would carry their bundles and scatter them with the “doukana” (a board with sharp hard stones). The “doukana” was dragged in circles by ox or donkeys. People, mostly children, would stand on the “doukana” so to help with the crushing of the wheat. Afterwards they used the “dikrani” (wooden tool with three or four “fingers”) to air the broken wheat so that they separated the wheat from the straw.
Untill 1945 the areas around the village where used as cereal crops.
1. Bridge of Kryos Potamos. It is located on the northwest of the Ayios Andronikos temple. It has a oxikorifi arc and carries a 17th century date as well as a decayed inscription.
2. Bridge of Treis Elies. It is located at the “gefyri” area and dates back to the end of the 19th century (after 1878). It is made out of rock and its top part is preserved. Its arch is shaped as a half circle.
3. The Kamaroui. It is located within the village. It is a stone made bridge which was built at the beginning of the 20th century.
Tris Elies Village
4846 Limassol, Cyprus
Tel: 25 462 541
FAX: 25 462 808